Letter from Dennas – April 1, 2020 – 1:00 PM
Your family is why Firstlight is here. I want to take a moment to explain to you how we’re trying to get everyone through the current season.
This time is truly exceptional, so we have no standard practices to help us navigate.
Our 3 goals:
- To help artists take full advantage of this time – to create art
- To stay in business so we’re here to return to
- To be flexible and help families and our community as much as possible
Provisional Programs we’ve created and put into place:
- ONLINE CLASS – You can’t get to us, so we brought your art class into your home on Zoom video calls.
- LESSONS – We opened up our full 6 school years of curriculum for everyone to access directly
- DISCUSSION GROUPS – We started and are managing 30 online class discussion groups that offer daily access to teachers and other students (edmodo.com).
- SUPPLIES – We have curbside pickup art supplies for the young KidsART students since their tuition includes supplies, as well as purchases for older students.
- ACTIVITIES – We’re sending out art projects for the KidsART students every week.
- MORE – We’ve committed to scheduling extra time in studio sessions when it’s safe.
I know that everyone is struggling – some much more than others. While we are all working hard to maintain as much of our normal life as possible, it’s difficult. If you are thinking it makes sense to pull out of our program for a couple of months and return in August, please consider this move as carefully as you can. While we’ve enjoyed 15 years of teaching art to our community, we won’t be here in August if everyone does that.
March, April, and May are critical to our business. This quarter is by far our biggest time of the year, supporting us through the lean summer, and well into the fall as well. We always recover fully by February.
Our standard policies keep us in business and protect our students too. We have always asked for a full year commitment and not accepted cancelations after February 20th. Yes, no one signed up for online classes, but neither can anyone deliver anything but online classes right now. We are trying our utmost to provide that and much more. We are giving as much to our families as we can possibly figure out how to make happen.
But if you are wanting to “take a break”, I’m asking you to please consider the impact on your family, the other students, and on us. But mainly I asking you to communicate with me what your family’s situation is. Everyone has a story right now, and no single policy I made could adequately consider yours.
And now is such a great time for artists to be creative, and so very important for everyone to maintain their connections.
I apologize for not responding to everyone about this until now. We have been working around the clock for 3 weeks straight, but now that we have successfully moved into our online programs I am more available to talk with you. You can text if that is better for you, or simply explain things in the form below.
Again, thank you so much – Dennas Davis
My mobile phone: 615-202-6426
This form can only be accepted on or before February 20th of the school year course. After that date we can no longer attempt to fill empty seats.
Please fill out the following email form and submit.